What is cosmetic tattooing?
Cosmetic tattooing, also referred to as semi-permanent makeup or micro pigmentation, is the process of implanting color pigment beneath the surface of the skin by means of tiny, sterile, disposable needles to produce the appearance of hair strokes, makeup, or to enhance the natural features of the face.
What is the difference between cosmetic tattooing & standard body tattooing?
The purpose of cosmetic tattooing is to enhance the features with what appears to be undetected, natural looking eyebrows. Cosmetic tattooing is softer and subtler – it is meant to be a natural-looking enhancement. Body tattoos use electric tools and ink while cosmetic tattooing procedures involve pigments and a manual hand tool. These pigments are designed to gently fade over time. Fading is desired as it allows the artist to make changes to color and shape over the years as client’s natural coloration and facial changes occur.
What is the difference between Microblading & Ombre'?
Microblading are individual hair-stokes created by means of a manual, tiny, sterile, disposable needle & Ombre'/dimensional shading technique creates a natural looking sheer, powdered brow through the use of a digital device that implants pigment beneath the surface of the skin. Final results are soft & sheer, with no blocky outlines or harsh edges. Both techniques provide great results it just depends on what look you're trying to achieve.
What Is the Difference Between Microblading and Nano Brows?
While the Microblading techinique is manual and uses a small, sterile, disposable blade to create the strokes, Nano Brows uses a digital device with an extra-fine & flexible single nanoneedle that increases precision. Not only does the nanoneedle result in a more gentle treatment but it also requires fewer follow-up procedures. This technique is also suitable for all skin types.
Who is cosmetic tattooing for?
If you want to effortlessly look your best anytime, then cosmetic tattooing is for you! If you want to shed off some years and look healthier, younger and fresher cosmetic tattooing does wonders! Helping you save time on your daily routine by eliminating the need for regular cosmetic application and maintenance. With cosmetic tattooing, you’ll wake up to perfectly groomed brows everyday without having to worry about filling in, smudging, smearing or disappearing. There is no need to settle for temporary measures when cosmetic tattooing renders your beauty maintenance free for a longer period of time.
Do my existing brows need to removed during the process?
- Most definitely NOT! Please do not tweeze, thread, wax or modify your eyebrows in any way for as long as possible, and no sooner than two weeks. The beginning of your service includes a consultation, followed by brow design and finally a discussion about color, as we’ll choose a pigment that matches your skin tone and hair color.
- Your regular brow maintenance of tweezing, threading, waxing and/or tinting should continue once the brows have healed.
Does it hurt?
Everyone has a different level of sensitivity. An anesthetic is applied for numbing during the procedure to alleviate discomfort. Every effort is made to ensure you remain comfortable for the duration of the procedure. Clients are usually pleased to discover that it is no more painful than having your eyebrows tweezed or threaded.
- Having this service performed during your menstrual cycle may increase discomfort during your procedure.
- If you are a frequent smoker, the topical anesthetics used during the treatment will not last as long.
- If you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, be aware that this may affect your sensitivity tolerance to the procedure.
How long is the healing process?
It is normal to experience minimal swelling and tenderness following your procedure. It doesn’t take very long for it to disappear. Immediately following your treatment the pigment will appear darker than how it will appear once it has healed. After a few days, the surface color naturally exfoliates to leave a softer color. After about a week, the pigment may appear lighter than you want it to be. That is why an Iniital Revisit up to 8 weeks after your initial appointment is necessary in order to achieve that richness of color and density in the shape.
How old do I have to be to get tattooed?
You must be 18 years or older to receive cosmetic tattooing at Lashes to Lashes Co.
can I get tattooed if I am pregnant or nursing?
As a precaution, we do not perform cosmetic tattooing on pregnant or nursing women.
How long does cosmetic tattooing last?
Cosmetic tattooing is considered semi-permanent and will not wash off, however, it will fade over time and we recommend getting a touch up annually to keep them looking fresh. There is no guarantee in how long it lasts, as each individual’s skin will respond differently. The brow is semi-permanent, so it will begin to noticeably fade after 12-14 months, even though its only gradual fading.
Frequency of touch-ups depends on a number of factors including: The pigment color used (lighter colors fade faster), lifestyle (sun exposure), iron deficiency (your body absorbs iron-oxide as a supplement), and if any chemical peels come into contact with treated areas. Please note that final results cannot be guaranteed as each unique skin type will hold pigments differently and break down at different rates. We will re-evaluate how your skin has received the pigment at your Initial Revisit appointment and make any changes necessary.
How many treatments are needed?
For cosmetic tattooing, two treatments are usually needed, at least 8 weeks apart. With most procedures, the color looks dramatically lighter after the first week. Some clients prefer this, while others opt for a bolder look. At the second treatment, we will assess the color retention and make adjustments as necessary. Everyone heals differently and at different rates. If your cosmetic tattoo does not heal perfectly the first time, do not worry! We can always go darker and add more density at your next appointment.
How Do Revisits Work?
After your Initial appointment an Initial Revisit is highly recommended for optimal results. This appointment is to be booked no later than 8 weeks after your initial appointment. The fee for the Initial Revisit is $150 for returning clients only.
What factors will affect cosmetic tattooing?
- Sun exposure: The sun will extremely soften the look of your tattoo, so sunblock should be used (once healed) to prolong your enhancement.
- The regeneration of skin cells: The longer the regeneration takes, the longer the pigment holds.
- The speed at which the skin absorbs the pigment: The slower the absorption, the longer the pigment will hold.
- The choice of color: Some colors fade quicker than others, e.g. a blonde pigment may fade quicker than a dark brunette pigment.
- Bleeding during the procedure: Any bleeding during the tattooing procedure will reduce the amount of pigment absorption. Caffeine, alcohol, and certain medications act as blood-thinners and should avoided 24 hours prior to your appointment.
What should I do before my eyebrow procedure?
- If you have an ideal shape and color in mind, please bring a couple reference photos with you to your appointment. You may fill in your eyebrows as you normally would so we may take into consideration the shape you feel most comfortable with. If you regularly get your eyebrows shaped, waxed, threaded or tinted, please refrain from doing so within a week of your appointment. If there are any stray hairs that fall outside of our final shape, we can remove them.
- If you plan to go on a vacation, it is recommended to plan your trip a minimum of 14 days after the procedure.
- We require our clients to avoid any blood thinning medication for a minimum of 72 hours prior to their appointment. This includes Vitamin E, Aspirin, Niacin, fish oil supplements, and Ibuprofen.
- Do NOT drink any alcohol or caffeine 24 hours prior to your appointment.
- If you have been on prescription Accutane in the past, you MUST wait at least one year before considering this procedure.
- It is highly recommended that you avoid SUN and TANNING BED exposure for 30 days BEFORE and AFTER your procedure. If you show up for your appointment with a new tan or a sunburn, you will need to reschedule and will forfeit your deposit. As your skin exfoliates from sunburn, it will take the pigment with it.
How will I look Immediately after?
Your brows will appear darker and more intense than expected for the first week or so. This will gradually lighten during the complete healing process. Redness and swelling is minimal. Please view our detailed aftercare
what should I do after the procedure?
Please review our detailed aftercare instructions. It is highly beneficial to follow these instructions to ensure a comfortable healing process and to achieve the best possible results. DO NOT rub or pick the healing area as the color will peel off prematurely, and avoid extreme heat and contaminated bodies of water (such as saunas, hot tubs, steam rooms, pools, lakes, and places with hot humidity, etc.).
How will my Cosmetic Tattoo Look in the future?
During your appointment, we will analyze your skin tone to anticipate how pigment colors will heal and fade in the future. We will also mix pigments to ensure the color blends well with your existing natural eyebrow and hair color. Microbladed brows generally remain true to color and lighten naturally over time. There are some cases, however, where the color may fade to different tones depending on the individual’s response to the pigments (like lifestyle and iron deficiencies). Many factors affect these changes. At your follow up appointment, we will re-analyze how your body has responded to the initial color. A special formula alteration to correct the color and to prevent further color to change is made at this time. Your eyebrow tattoo will eventually look softer and have more of a "powdered" look. This happens with all clients as the skin ages. To keep your hair strokes looking good, a refresher appointment is suggested every 1 to 3 years. Results vary with each client.
Is the studio and equipment safe?
Most definitely! We pride ourselves on having an immaculate and sterile studio space. We only practice with single use, disposable needles and supplies. This means each set-up for a new client is safely discarded afterwards. Each of our stations is thoroughly disinfected before opening and after each procedure throughout the day.
What should I know about long term care?
- If you are planning a chemical peel, MRI or other medical procedure, please inform the technician that you have had an iron-oxide cosmetic tattoo. Careful application must be taken to avoid affecting the tattooed area.
- If you are planning to have laser treatments, tell your laser specialist to avoid the pigmented area. Laser may cause pigment to turn black.
Will Cosmetic tattooing work well for me?
- If you have extremely oily skin, then the hair stroke technique may NOT work well for you. The constant production of oil will cause the hair strokes to heal with a diffused, softer look. Your end result will look more powdered than you would expect.
- If you are a frequent smoker, your pigment will fade sooner.
- If you are iron deficient or anemic, your pigment will fade sooner and bleeding/bruising may occur during and after the procedure.
How can I book an appointment?
Please contact the studio (858.888.3231) to secure a booking.
Can I bring friends/Family with me to my appointment?
Yes, you may bring one person with you to the appointment. However, the procedure room is very small and additional friends/family will need to wait in the reception area.